Pet Supplies Trend Watch: Freeze-Dried Dog Food
These days, there seems to be a new dog health trend on display every time you walk into a pet supplies store or surf the internet (thanks, targeted ads for realizing I love my dog). From searching out the best dog food to pet supplies that are both environmentally friendly and promote wellness, it can be hard to decipher which trends are beneficial or simply a fad that lacks the validity to make it last.
This is Swaggy Tails’ guide to the latest pet supplies trend you should know about: freeze-dried dog food. Recently deemed the top trend at the Global Pet Expo, freeze-dried dog food is a fascinating movement that may be here to stay.
What is Freeze-Dried Dog Food?
There is much more to dog food now than just kibble or canned. Each year, the food aisle in the pet supplies store is packed with more and more options, and it can be challenging to know what the best dog food is.
Other passing food trends that might sound similar at first include dehydrated and air-dried dog food, but freeze-dried dog food is different in how it is processed. A freeze dryer machine is used to remove moisture from food at extremely cold temperatures.
Other techniques, such as dehydration and air drying, use heat in the manufacturing process. Even at low temperatures, these methods somewhat cook the end product. However, with freeze-drying, the dog food is still as raw as when it was placed in the machine.
Benefits of Freeze-Dried Dog Food
There are many reasons that freeze-dried dog food is one of the best dog food options on the market. The fact that freeze-dried dog food is still raw after being processed means that it can have a wide range of positive impacts on pet health. Here are some of the most essential benefits of freeze-dried dog food that you should know about:
- Nutritional Impact — The freeze-drying process that keeps the best dog food ingredients raw also preserves the nutrients that they contain. Freeze-drying food improves its bioavailability — which is a term that refers to how easily the nutrients of a food item can be taken up by the body and put to use.
When essential dog food ingredients, such as beef or chicken, are cooked, the proteins can be less easy to digest for your pet. When these same foods are freeze-dried, the basic structure of the proteins is preserved, making digestion easier and creating a more significant nutritional impact for your dog.
- Easy to Store — When looking for the best dog food on the market, convenience is a big factor. One of the greatest benefits of freeze-dried dog food is how easily it can be stored. Most raw dog foods need to be refrigerated or frozen. Freeze-dried dog food, on the other hand, is shelf-stable. This makes raw dog food a lot more accessible for pet owners. If you would like to travel with your dog while maintaining a raw diet or simply want to free up shelf space in your freezer, freeze-dried dog food is a great option.
- Fewer Artificial Ingredients — freeze-dried dog foods aim to preserve whole ingredients and the nutritional content in each item that goes into the food. This emphasis on whole nutrition means that many freeze-dried dog foods contain fewer artificial ingredients than other typical dog food choices stocking the pet supplies stores’ shelves. It can also be easier to tell exactly what is in your dog’s food with freeze-dried dog food because you can see each ingredient in its natural form as you feed your dog.
- Convenient Healthy Solution — Many pet owners want to ensure that what is going into their dog’s bowl is the best of the best. One way to accomplish the goal of feeding one’s dog the best dog food possible is to make it at home. While a homemade diet can be highly beneficial, it can also involve a lot of work. From researching the best dog food recipes online to finding room in your busy schedule to make them each day — not everyone has the time or resources to make food from scratch.
Freeze-dried dog food offers pet owners the same quality and benefits as homemade meals in a much more convenient solution. Pet owners can keep the pantry stocked with the best dog food for their four-legged friends while enjoying how meals this nutritious don’t require the hassle of filling a crockpot with piles of ingredients and waiting for it to cook. Freeze-dried dog foods let you keep excellent dog food on hand, so you can focus on more important things like spending time with your dog.
Tips for a Freeze-Dried Dog Food Diet
There are a lot of benefits to adding freeze-dried dog food to your pet’s routine, but starting any new diet can be intimidating. Here are some tips on how to swap out your old pet supplies for freeze-dried dog food to see if it is right for you:
- Find the Right Portion — There is no one-size-fits-all serving size for feeding your dog freeze-dried dog food. Some of the factors determining the right portion include your dog’s breed, age, size, activity level and environment. If you have trouble figuring out exactly how much freeze-dried food to feed your dog, reach out to your veterinarian.
- Handle with Care — Whether you choose to feed your dog freeze-dried dog food precisely as it comes straight out of the package or rehydrate it before feeding, the food is still raw and needs to be handled properly. It is essential to handle with care to prevent bacteria from spreading. Each time you feed your dog, be sure to use hot water and soap to clean your hands, the food bowls and any items you used to prepare the food and the area it was prepared on. If the food has been rehydrated, it should not be left out for longer than two hours, so keep an eye on your dog’s bowl to make sure the food is not eaten after this timeframe.
- Add Supplements — To make the most of this pet supplies trend and truly give your dog the best dog food diet possible, it is important to add supplements to a meal plan based on freeze-dried dog food. Veterinarians often recommend that dogs who follow a vegan or homemade diets be given supplements, and a freeze-dried dog food diet is no different.
Dogs need their diets to meet all of their specific nutritional requirements. Homemade and freeze-dried dog foods are made with natural ingredients and are designed to include only whole foods. Specific vitamins and minerals may be lacking from your dog’s diet if they are not added. Supplements created for specific purposes, such as anxiety or joint health, are also valuable additions to any dog diet.
Swaggy Tails Pairs Well with Freeze-Dried Dog Food
To ensure that freeze-dried dog food is the best dog food choice for your pet, try dog supplements from Swaggy Tails. When you combine SwaggyTails supplements with freeze-dried dog food, you can rest assured that your dog will take in all of the nutrients, vitamins and minerals needed to live a happy, healthy life.
Swaggy Tails’ Digestive Enzymes are a great choice to support gut health and facilitate transitioning from one diet to another. Our Omega Skin & Coat supplement boosts skin health and promotes a shiny coat while supplying your pet with essential nutrients such as biotin, omega-3 and omega-6. We also offer Hemp Calming Chews and our Joint Support supplement that can help meet your dog’s specific needs as an add-on to a healthy diet.Choose Swaggy Tails supplements for dogs to make the most of the latest pet supplies trend of freeze-dried dog food for your pet!